Sunday, April 1, 2012

Common Courtesy to the Extreme

Ms.Robbins is always telling us about "common courtesy." It's doing the little things that make you a good person. Some people do a lot of little things to help others out, and a lot of big things. One man I read about in an article titled "Man Embarks on Year of Random Kindnesses," from People are Awesome, is filling his whole year with small acts of kindness. He's doing all sorts of stuff, and documenting it all on his blog, just to be good. I think it's amazing, and if more people were like him, the world would be a lot pleasanter to live in. His name is Ryan Garcia, and he got the idea as  new year's resolution. He wanted to do something his daughter could look up to him for. Boy, did he choose a good way to accomplish that.

The things he's doing are things that we all have an option to do, but don't because it would be too much effort or we have better things to do. This man put aside his own duties, just to help others. Human kind should look up to him. One thing that he did was, "clean the snow off all the cars on his block." Think about that. That's pushing off a bunch of heavy snow, cleaning the frost off and everything...when it snows here, my dad can barely do it for our car. And yet somehow this guy is doing it for a bunch of people's car. You have to be extremely warmhearted and neighborly to do that. He also "took an Iraq war veteran and his family to a Northwestern University basketball game." I know I certainly wouldn't take a stranger in my car to someplace far away, but I guess I have to take into account where he lives, people are probably less likely to be crazy. Still, he paid for gas and everything. My cousin-in-law is in the army, and I'm glad people like Ryan respect him. Mr.Garcia should be all of our idols, After reading this, he is certainly mine.

Our world is filled with a bunch of people who take care of themselves. In general, it's a cruel harsh place. Then there are those people like Ryan Garcia, who balance out the rest of the world with their goodheartedness. It's made me think hard about what I do. My new year's resolution was to do something nice everyday...and I've kind of been keeping up with it...kind of...sometimes....most of the time...Anyway, people like Ryan encourage us to get out there and give back to the world. Reading about stories like his make me want to go out and do something nice, just for the heck of it! Kindness carries a lot of importance in my heart, as it should for everyone. In an ideal place, everyone would be like Ryan and do little things whenever they could...but that's not going to happen anytime soon. On the news every night they focus on all the murders and fires, and all the terrible stuff happening in the world. Maybe if they focused more on people like Ryan, a few more people would be inspired to do good deeds.

After all, it only takes a few people to start a movement.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job! I really can hear your voice in this blog post, and I could even get a sense of some of your intricate thoughts! I agree that what Ryan was doing was, let's say, oddly generous? I think your post inspired many people to do good in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Taylor you can really hear your voice in this post. I can tell you really understood and took into consideration what this man was doing for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that certainly isn't me. Haha! Anyway, good job. Yes, I agree with you. There are many self-fish, mean people in the world. But this article has proven that there are "good" people in this world. You had a clear tone of voice in this response. I could tell that you really thought about this article.

    ReplyDelete